Friday, August 3, 2012

Z-30 Months

Our "little" man is becoming a big man more and more each day. It becomes even more evident when there is such a little person around now. He had (and is still having) quite an adjustment to having to share us with someone else. It's got to be pretty crazy having your 2 1/2 year old world totally rocked and flipped upside down. It has only been a month and he is really starting to settle down into our new normal, which is nice for everyone all around.

A few tidbits about Zane this month

His memory continues to amaze us. I said my grocery list out loud as I was writing it down at home yesterday. When we got to the store, I asked out loud to myself what I needed to get. He repeated my whole grocery list back to me. He has been playing a concentration memory game on Clay's iPad and he rocks it every single time. He knows most of the words to a song after only hearing it a couple times. And he still tells us about things that happened months ago.

He is good at figuring out technology. I have an iPhone and Clay got a Kindle Fire and an iPad for his graduation. After showing him a couple of the toddler apps once, he can get into them on any of the devices. Nursing Leila has been hard on him since I can't get up to help him with things or focus completely on him for that period of time. The devices have been lifesavers since he will come sit next to me on the couch and count ants or find shapes. Today, he even got into Netflix all on his own and figured out how to start an episode of Blue's Clues. Smart boy.



Zane likes to try to use the voice texting on my phone. His favorite is to text Clay "Congratulations". So far, Clay has received the following texts from Zane:
"Hey there, dilation"
"Good time. Kevin"
"Population"
"Pakistan"
He is trying to say the same thing each time. I think it's funny that each "congratulations" turned out so random.

Zane has still been waking up between 5:00 and 5:30 and coming in to tell us that it is time to get up because the sun is up. This worked well in the winter when the sun didn't come up until 7:30. It isn't working so well now. I found a clock that has a stoplight. Tonight is the first time we are trying it out. The theory is that when the red light is on, that means stay in bed. When the green light is on, he can get up.
According to Zane: Red means "Stay in bed"
Green means "Come play with us"
We set it for 6:00 tomorrow. We are thinking that we will slowly set it for later and later each morning and hopefully get him waking up at a more enjoyable time eventually. Here's hoping it works!  


Zane is still obessed with robots. I think he is up to 8 or 9 different robot shirts. He also has several pairs of robot pajamas. He loves his red robot shirt best. His favorite color is red, so red beats any other color every time. If he could, he would wear that shirt every single day. He picks out his own shirt and shorts most days and comes up with some pretty interesting outfit choices. I'm guessing a career in fashion is probably not in his future.

Is is wrong if I want to stick a brick on his head to keep him from all this growing up nonsense? The past 30 months have gone by so fast!

1 comment:

  1. What a smartie for sure! Kids + technology = pretty amazing. Pax has already figured out too much of my phone :). You are a great mom to think of ways to help him through this adjustment. ...and before you know it, it will seem like you've always had two kids and you can't imagine life any different. That little sister is a sweetie! So happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave Us Some Sugar!