Saturday, October 29, 2011

Grouchy, Cupcakes, and a Basilisk

Our ward trunk-or-treat was a blast! We had a great dinner of cook-off chili, played games at the carnival that the youth put on, and got too much candy from the backs of people's cars. All in a good night's work, right?

The carnival was supposed to be held outside in the pavillion area, but an earlier downpour left the grass pretty soggy. The we still ate outside, but the carnival was moved inside. Zane didn't mind. He loved the inflated pumpkins.


I didn't get a family picture of all of us in our costumes, and I am a little sad about it. Hopefully Monday after the Midwestern carnival, I will be able to get one. Anyway, here is Oscar the Grouch with Elmo the Hater of Hats. Most of the night, Zane looked like a fire hydrant with Elmo slippers since he didn't want his hat on.


We got the picture ready and plopped the hat on his head just before taking it. Can you see me holding his arm down to try and keep him from taking off his hat?


And here is Elmo with his mom, Big Bird.

Zane was fascinated by the decorations. He even walked up to one of the tombstones and picked up the bones sitting on top of it. Then he hit them together. Of course, our son is the one making musical instruments out of the macabre.


This is a terrible picture as far as there being a giant hat in the middle of it, but I like that you can see Clay's trashcan pants well.  Those were orignially green scrubs that I spray painted silver with black stripes. Needless to say, his pants were a little stiff.  And that orange thing on his shoulder? That's Slimy, Oscars worm pet. I had forgotten that Oscar even had a worm. Clay asked me about 10 minutes before we left for the party if I could make him a worm, just like Oscar. He definately knows his Sesame Street Trivia. That's the father of a toddler for ya!


Zane enjoyed throwing a beanbag through a pumpkin face, and he really loved fishing. He came up with a tiny rubber rat. Delightful.


So, by this time, Zane is looking more like the member of a gang than Elmo. He lost the hat and the slippers (not literally... we still have them). We cake-walked our little muppet hearts out together.


And won one of the delicious cupcakes that I made. Zane savored his taste of the frosting.


Then we headed out to trunk-or-treat. We taught him to say "Trick or Treat" and it was adorable. He loved picking out candy. When we were done he kept asking for more trick-or-treat.


There is a family in our ward who is a group of some of the most creative and talented people I have ever met. Their oldest daughter, Alex, is in our Sunday School class. She is an incredibly amazing artist. She came to the trunk-or treat as Luna Lovegood. Her little sister, Catherine, came as Hermione when she drank Pansy's cat's polyjuice potion. She looked amazing. Their car had four or five dementors flying around it.


And a Basilisk wrapped around the back-end, of course.

And who was handing out candy amid the dark creatures?



Why, Professor Snape, of course. Complete with cauldron, spell books, and wand. Amazing, right?

We have the coolest ward!

1 comment:

Leave Us Some Sugar!