Saturday was my birthday. I got a bunch of delightful Facebook wishes, some phone calls (Sister Jen, Brother Bryan, and the singing Pehrsons particularly made me laugh), and even a couple of text messages.
Clay did an amazing spread for me for breakfast. This is my Clay who lived on Hamburger Helper and canned chili when he was single. It's a stretch for him to be willing to cook pre-made cookie dough.
Would you believe, then, that he made waffles with fresh peaches and whipped cream? And he added a side of bacon and scrambles eggs. And to top it all off, my handsome husband hand-squeezed some oranges for some fresh juice. It's a good thing we have those little juice glasses. It takes a lot of oranges for just one glass of juice! Everything was incredibly delish.
Later on, we picked up a babysitter and headed out to a movie and dinner. It was nice to have a day out. Clay and I tried to think of the last movie we saw in the theater, but we were hard pressed to come up with a title. Needless to say, it's been a while.
And here's a couple of pictures of Zaner eating his waffles and peaches. He liked them almost as much as I did.
For Father's Day, I made Clay some stuffed french toast. He always asks for it, but I don't usually have the ingredients on hand. Or I don't feel like I have room on my hips for the extra calories from cheesecake filling between two pieces of egg-soaked bread. Since Clay is such a wonderful father, my hips braved breakfast and had some yummy french toast. Zane and I gave Clay some golf tees and a glove.
At church, there is an ongoing competition between the Relief Society and the Elders Quorum to see who can put out the best Mother's/Father's Day spread. Back in May, the men treated us to a dessert buffet in a dim, candlelit (battery opperated) portion of the cultural hall for the last 20 minutes of church. This year, so as not to be outdone by the men, we put together a "Man Buffet" for Father's Day. There was a nacho bar, fresh fruit, a dessert buffet, and a barbecue sauce fountain. Yes, a barbecue sauce fountain. Think chocolate fountain, but with barbecue sauce. And lots of different meats like chicken, smokies, sausage, steak, etc. to dip in the sauce fountain. Clay was in asolute paradise. Go ahead and be jealous.
Less than two weeks ago, I made some sandwiches that I found on http://www.thepioneerwoman.com/. Clay loved them so much that he requested them again for Father's Day. This is the link to the actual sandwich. I'm not a fan of the name of the sandwich. That's just what her "blog name" for her husband is, though. I also use less than half of the butter that she uses. And I add a little lemon juice. Anyhow, the sandwich is now Clay's favorite food. And he had it twice in as many weeks.
And here are some more pictures of Zane, lounging after church. He found my book and sat down to read it. He looks a little loopy becasue he had just woken from his nap. He's such a funny kid.
A husband who's willing to cook a little is a blessing! ha ha! Good job Clay. I appreciate Zach's meals too! :)
ReplyDeletehappy late birthday! that breakfast looks yummy! glad you had a great day!
ReplyDelete