Monday, August 10, 2015

First Day of Kindergarten

I can't believe this day has come! I have a kindergartner! It's been pretty surreal.

We started off our foray into actual school last night. As Zane got down to business making his lunch for the first day of school, we realized that we were out of bread. Thank goodness for our favorite neighbors down the street who lent us a whole loaf so Zane could make a sandwich. This morning, Zane woke up bright and early and was bouncing off the walls with excitement. He got a little over zealous with peanut butter on his toast and had to go change his shirt twice. The third navy polo is the charm! (He goes to a charter school and gets to wear uniforms) Once we got in the car, and drove closer and closer to the school, he got quieter and more nervous by the minute. We had to park pretty far away from the school thanks to everyone else in the whole school walking their children up for the first day of school. We made it up to the kindergarten playground with about five minutes to spare. When the bell rang, he lined up with his class looking as nervous as could be, but trying so hard to be brave! I almost lost it there on the playground. 

After he walked away with his class, the PTO ushered all the kindergarten parents into the multipurpose room for a Woo Hoo/Boo Hoo breakfast. To be honest, I have always pictures myself as a Woo Hoo! kind of mom. Apparently I'm not. I sat in the cafeteria watching my girls eat yogurt and muffins and cried like a baby. Thank goodness that close to half my ward's primary goes to Zane's school and so there were several moms I knew at the breakfast who helped me feel a little better. 

Now we are home, and it feels like something is missing from our house. Leila is furious that Zane is at school at not at home with us. Sophie keeps asking where Zane is. I know that he is exactly where he should be and that he is going to learn and grow so much and have a blast this year!  It's just going to take a few days for this mom to get used to it.  




1 comment:

  1. I cannot believe he is old enough to go to school!! I will definitely be a boo-hoo mom, haha. But I am sure he will love school :) And hopefully the adjustment period goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete

Leave Us Some Sugar!