Saturday, July 27, 2013

Summer Fun


I just realized that I have pictures sitting around from our summer activities back in June. It is nice to have a little bit of a routine since preschool ended. For the month of June, each week had a theme and day we did a different activity. The first week was Under The Sea and each day looked like this:

Monday: Sensory activity
Tuesday: Art/Craft
Wednesday: "Academic" (worksheets/games/tracing/cutting)
Thursday: Cooking
Friday: Fieldtrip

I didn't get pictures of everything, but we had a lot of fun doing all of our activities. It was a lot of work doing all the planning for the different things though. One month was enough for me and it helped transition Zane from preschool to summer break. 

For our sensory activity, I filled a bucket with blue water and gave him some cups and plastic fish to play with. He could do this all day. Ideally this would be done outside, but that's not a luxury we can afford in Phoenix in the summer. We will do this again as a Fall/Winter activity and do it in the backyard.

For our craft, we made a jellyfish in a bottle. The idea of it was really cool. The reality didn't turn out quite as cool. Zane enjoyed it though. 


We also did monochromatic fish painting. We drew fish with large scales then mixed up various shades of Zane's favorite color, painting each scale a different shade. I wish that I had taken pictures of the final product. They turned out really pretty. 

I love Zane's fish with both eyes on the same side. So stinking cute. 

I found an awesome printable ocean preschool pack (You can download it free  HERE)
I laminated everything so we can use it again and again. There is tracing, cutting, matching games, size ordering, etc. We had a blast doing the different activities together.

I didn't get a picture of our cooking day, but we made blue ocean jello with gummy fish. And Clay was off that Friday, so instead of a fieldtrip, the two of them had a Daddy-Zane date. I think that Zane chose to go get frozen yogurt that particular day. Every Friday that Clay is off, they have a date together. Zane looks forward to their dates with incredible anticipation.


For Father's Day, Zane painted a map shirt for Clay. He loved painting each of the buildings and the roads. It was so hard for him to keep it a surprise.


When Clay opened it, Zane was excited to drive some trains and cars around on his back. Clay enjoyed it too.

One of our frequent summer activities has been to go bowling. Zane and I both use the ramp to bowl. It's a pretty unpredictable method of bowling, so I'm often defeated by my three-year-old. 

He love his bowling hat. He sets it on the table when it's not his turn then puts it on and constantly adjusts it when it is his turn. It has to be just right before he will send his ball down the lane. He cracks us up. 

Things are considerable larger now than they were at this point. I get some funny looks when I use the ramp. Or maybe it's just because I try to bowl pregnant.

One of our activities another week was to make slime. This was one of Zane's all time favorite things ever. It was just clear glue and liquid starch with a little bit of food coloring. Zane played with this for a really long time over several days before it dried out. 

We had done a lot more activities, but I haven't been very good at documenting them. The last one I caught on camera was an evening where we braved the heat and walked to our park to put Mentos in soda. Zane thought this was pretty cool and was disappointed that it only worked once.

Hopefully I will do a better job of documenting the rest of our summer. Especially considering that preschool starts up again in a couple of weeks. Why does school start so early here? 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link! Your such a good mom. I hope your feeling well. School starts Aug 15 here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great activities!! Looks like everyone's having fun.

    ReplyDelete

Leave Us Some Sugar!